My Ordinary Life

Please Enjoy.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Slacker.

I've been in crusie control mode again, and slacking.

Last Thursday was a nice break in the Cruise Control mode though. I went snowboarding at camelback because for some reason class was cancelled. It was me and my buddy John. Camelback is a really small mountain, but I made the best of it and had a good time. I spent part of the day helping my friend get better. I took him on his first black diamond, he was stoked, and so was I. I knew he could do it he just doubted himself. On the lift up I said follow me no matter what. He agreed and of course I took him down a black. He fell once or twice but made it down. He was grinning from ear to ear, I know that feeling, stoke.

View from the top:

After that we stuck to this one trail that had a mini terrain park at the end of it. It was just a few boxes and a big jump at the end. I was excited to put my newly learned skills to the test. I did much better than I expected. I was sticking the rails and even getting some "oohhhs" and "ahhhs" from the people behind me and the people going up the lift. Stoke. I was killing the jump (not really, but in my eyes I was considering I could barely do a 2 ft jump a week ago). I was getting some serious air. In all my years skateboarding I've never gotten airtime like that before. It's an awesome feeling just floating up there looking at the ground. I'm hooked. Stoke. My buddy John saw some of these airs and was itching to try it. He attempted to go off but he had zero speed and kind of just flopped over the jump. I gave him some pointers, just like I got a week earlier. I told him go much faster and just jump, don't think. On the last run of the day he did just that. I was behind him and I just saw him launch up and then he disappeared behind the jump. I thought for sure he ate it. Wrong, he stuck it. Stoked.

Overall that was a good day of snowboarding and we both left super happy. Thats what I mean by stoke. That's why I surf, snowboard, etc. It's an almost indescribable feeling of joy and excitement. I only get that kind of joy and excitement from few things in life, and I find that I just spend my days trying to chase that stoke. I guess you can call me and addict or a junkie. But at least I'm chasing "stoke" and not heroin or crystal meth. Its that feeling of gliding along a face of a wave, booking at down a mountain, carving up an asphalt hill, or launching into the air and floating. When you walk away from that stoke event you feel like your floating on joy for the rest of the day. It's so hard to describe, you've just got to try it.

Oh, but that stoke that we were riding on was completely deflated when we stopped at a five guys burger joint and shoved nasty hamburgers and french fries down our throats for about 12 bucks a piece. We felt so guilty. It's crazy how stupid little things can pop your stoke bubble.

Sorry for the mini hiatus. I'm back.

Oh, and I also realized I left a few stories hanging. I apologize to those of you who read this and have been thinking about these stories day and night, just waiting for me to divulge in the intricacies of certain events in my ever so significant life. HAH! Yeah right.

Anyway, JMU weekend, and Jetty near death stories are coming soon. probably tomorrow. I've got a full day of class and nothing but time. I leave my house at 9am and get home at 11pm, a 14 hour day for four hour and 15 minute classes. At least I'm not wasting my time or anything......(that was sarcasm, its hard to be sarcastic over the inter web)

No comments:

Post a Comment